Thursday, April 16, 2015

With Great Change, Great Opportunity

It's been less than a week since my last post, but so much has happened. I began classes on Monday, and finished today with a full day. It's not as bad as it sounds, though. I am taking a German language class through JYM (Junior Year in Munich, my study abroad program), which meets twice a week, Monday and Thursday mornings. All my other classes only meet once a week. I'm taking linguistics, an overview of Media Systems of Germany and Europe, as well as a Seminar that goes with that, and my personal favorite: Renaissance Drama. That's five classes for a total of 15 credit hours. My lightest semester load since starting college. I figured I'd take it easy since half my classes are in German, and well, I only needed 6 credits to graduate. So technically, I'm overachieving.
Yes, I did say graduating. For all who were not aware, after this semester I will be a B.A! A Bachelor of Arts, that is, in German with a double major in Communications: Media Studies. Crazy how time flies, right? And the question for all impending graduates: what happens next? How will you pay back all of those student loans? What's your five year plan? And for Wheaton graduates: when are you getting married?
Slow down. I'm just getting started. The truth is, I don't know. (I do have a job, but we'll get to that later.) My whole journey through Wheaton has been a lesson in trust. Learning to trust God despite not knowing, or not liking what I see ahead. Yes, I'm scared, but I know that it doesn't matter. God is in control. I don't know how I will pay back my student debt, I don't know where in the world I'll be in five years, and I have no intentions of getting married anytime soon. (Unless there are some desperate Senior guys? Just kidding.) But, I do know what happens next. I take a running leap across the chasm in front of me and trust that He's got me.
That being said, I do know where I will be physically for at least the next year or two. I have officially offered a position in the Front Office on the high school campus of Black Forest Academy beginning this coming August! It's terribly exciting, but also terrifying. I love living in Germany, and I get to stay, but I won't see my family for ever so long, I'm missing my cousin's and my roommate's weddings, and I really don't know what to expect. That's why it feeling like I'm heading towards a chasm. But I will run all the way there.


Here are a few more pictures from the trip so far:
At the peak of the Kranzberg in Southern Germany

Watching an FC-Bayern game with friends!

On the trail on the way up the mountain

A chilly day in Munich

Real German food at the Augustiner Restaurant

No comments: