Friday, February 5, 2016

Belated Christmas Greeting

I know it's already February. (February, where did the time go???) But, here is a quick update about my Christmas break.

Here's a funny story: I spent Christmas in the hospital. Christmas Eve we had a lovely evening with my family, including my Uncle Pat, and a friend, Lindsay, from church. We always make three kinds of soup (this year's menu included Seven Onion Soup, Broccoli Cheddar, and Minestrone) and eat a late meal following the Christmas Eve service. I went to bed that night with a full tummy, but was unable to sleep. Sometime in the night, an intense pain shot through my abdomen. I'll spare you the details, but the short of it was, I thought I had appendicitis.
Throughout the night in the hospital (accompanied by my wonderful and long-suffering Mother), while being poked, prodded, and scanned, the pain began to lessen. Around seven am, the doctors determined that I did not have appendicitis, because they couldn't see my appendix in any of the scans or tests. I went home and was back in bed before the rest of the household even noticed our absence. After a brief nap, we resumed our Christmas morning festivities. Imagine the surprise of our well-rested relatives when Mom and I came to breakfast with our tale. However, it was not over. The hospital called, requesting that I come back in for one last consultation with the surgeon, who had seen something else on the CT scan. I spent two more hours in the hospital (with my Dad), which added nothing to our knowledge of the cause of the phantom pains, but took time away from our Christmas brunch at my Aunt and Uncle's. I hope this story brings you a smile, because I can only laugh about it now. Did I simply overreact to a stomach ache? I suppose I'll never know.

Stay tuned for more (recent) updates!

No comments: