Friday, August 12, 2016

I'm in. . . Germany?

I still can't believe it. I'm here. I mean, I'm incredibly jet-lagged and feeling a little sick, but I am here in Germany to stay, Lord willing.

Saturday evening, I boarded the plane in Rochester bound for Atlanta. But when I got to Atlanta, and found the proper terminal, my gate for my next flight was closing in 3 minutes. So I sprinted through the terminal, because, of course, my gate was at the far end, and made it just before they closed the door. My heart was pounding! That leg of the trip was the worst. I didn't sleep a wink during those eight hours, so I watched a few films and tried to get comfortable.

My last flight was just a 45 minute jump over to Basel. You have to collect your baggage before leaving the secure area, so I knew my hosts were waiting for me, but my bags took so long! Once all the bags had been put on the conveyor belt, I was still missing one. After inquiring, we discovered that bag was still in Paris! I gave them my address, and they promised to deliver it after it arrived. True to their word, the next day, I discovered my bag sitting on the front step when I got home from orientation.


The next picture is the view I get to see every morning as I leave my house. How beautiful is the world God created! The walk from school-home and vice versa is quite enjoyable with views like these, though it is completely uphill on the way to school, and completely downhill the way home. It's almost like climbing a mountain every day. My landlords had to leave for a conference the morning after I arrived, so I'm currently cat-sitting their cat, Melly, for the week. It's nice to have a furry little friend instead of being completely alone at night. Though it is scary the first time something warm and furry is sleeping on the end of your bed when you weren't expecting it.


And finally: the other new staff members at BFA. I couldn't be prouder to be working with such awesome people. I've also had chances to meet returning staff during coffee breaks and such, including the principal, my supervisor-the vice principal and foreign language department chair-and other administrators who already work full-time.


As I mentioned in my last letter, I have a friend, Sammy, in need of your prayers. Last night she underwent a 6 hour brain surgery while feverish. She came through the surgery and is stable. Beyond that, I don't know any more. Please remember her in your prayers and trust the Lord for complete and total healing! Also, my Uncle Robert underwent surgery to remove a tumor (and his kidney) last week and is recovering well at home. Thank you for your prayers for him as well.

I really am so very grateful to all who have made my being at BFA possible. Please keep the students, staff, and all the supporters around the world in your prayers.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Awesome to read!! Enjoy this next phase of your life, as always, never dull following God!

Unknown said...

So glad that I could get to know you through fbc! Hope you have a great time in Germany! Miss you already! -MJ

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing Amanda. We'll be praying for you in the student ministry at FBW.