Saturday, July 18, 2015

Thoughts on Graduating

Well, this is it. I’ve completed every requirement of my Bachelor’s degree. Wheaton has an August graduation date, so that will be when I get the official diploma. I hope to participate in the May 2016 graduation ceremony with my class. This evening, we have the Junior Year in Munich graduation ceremony, which includes some awards, yearbooks, and dinner. After that, I have three more weeks in Munich before my train to Kandern.

It’s definitely strange, graduating college from afar. I don’t recommend it. You don’t really have closure. I probably should have spent my semester abroad last year, but then I wouldn’t have gotten to know these awesome people. I do regret not having a Senior year, but what does that really matter in the grand scheme of things? I don’t have to pay for another year of college, and I get to live in Germany longer! I’m so excited for what’s coming next.

God is so good. I had two and a half wonderful years at Wheaton, forming lifelong friendships with the people I met and lived with there. I had 4 amazing months with the students from Junior Year, and now I get to meet a whole new group of people at Black Forest Academy. I am so thankful for everyone in my life for getting me to this point. I still have three weeks here, but I have several loose ends to tie up, and of course I’ll have to wave goodbye as everyone leaves over the next two weeks.

One loose end is a library fine. It came in the mail Wednesday. I still had the book (two weeks overdue) for the paper that was due yesterday. So I went to return it. They told me again when I returned it that I owed the money. But, I couldn’t pay it there. So I asked where to pay it. She gave me directions, and I followed them. But the only office I could find had about thirty people waiting with numbers for their turn. As I had a class in 15 mins, I decided not to wait. If they want my money, why are they going to make me wait that long? I’m not even sure that’s the right place to pay the fine. Regardless, I’ll figure it out another day. Also, I can’t check out any more books until I pay the fine. How will I read for the next few weeks?

Another loose end: what to do with my bike. I love this bike. I got it at a flea market at the beginning of the semester for 35€. I’ve ridden it to class, for fun around the city, and mainly around the English Gardens. It probably won’t be hard to find a new bike in Kandern, but I’m still looking at shipping it there. Otherwise, I might try and sell it here in Munich before I leave so I have at least the start of money for a new bike. I would love to get a bike with a bell and a basket, though those are upgrades that can also be purchased separately.

The final loose end: packing. I know I’ve only been here a semester, but I still accumulated quite a bit of stuff! I can’t take it all on the train with me to Kandern, so I’m figuring out how to ship it ahead of me to Kandern. Then I still have to fit the rest of my stuff back into two suitcases. I have a lot of clothes, dishes, sheets, a few books, and so much more. I’m also gathering free stuff from some of the other students, since most of them aren’t taking their dishes back to the States. Hopefully I’ll have enough to furnish a new apartment. (Just kidding. I know I have enough stuff.)

Summer vacation in Europe. Living the dream. Of course, I have limited funds, so I won’t be going very far. I hope to travel to Belgium for a bit, but I have to make my funds last until I get to Kandern. Budgeting skills, let’s go!


Speaking of money, I’m still raising funds for my time at BFA. If you would like to be on my prayer email list, please send an email to amanda.carini@my.wheaton.edu. With the time I have over the next few weeks, I’ll be making phone calls to churches and looking for more supporters. Let me know if your church (or a church you know of) might be willing to support me on a monthly basis. And, as always, please keep me in your prayers.

No comments: